Encompassing all geographical locations of the group, the individual will collaborate with senior leadership and US tax colleagues with regard to tax planning and the tax consequences of strategic decisions. Responsibilities extend to all direct and indirect taxes.
- Responsible for, and manages, corporate tax compliance. Directs the work of the in-house tax team and external advisors in this regard.
- Accountable for, and manages, tax accounting on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis. Directs the work of the in-house tax team and integrates activity and processes with local finance team and US tax colleagues in this regard.
- Directs all aspects of tax related projects including project scope, approach, methodology and timing to ensure the corporate and tax compliance objectives of the organization are met.
- Works with the US tax team to address the tax aspects of strategic decisions and influences the strategic direction of the tax division.
- Acts as the tax liaison point for operational business professionals internally and outside advisors externally to ensure overall alignment between goals and strategies.
- Oversees analysis and research of tax technical issues and the consideration of tax implications on financial statements, reporting and compliance. Presents interpretations of findings and makes recommendations to management as needed.
- Responsible for staying up to date on trends and developments within functional area of expertise as well as the insurance industry as it relates to tax. Provides insight and guidance throughout the organisation as a tax technical expert.
- Manages the work activities and has full management responsibility for the performance and development of subordinate staff in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
- Acts as a key leader within the Finance function and interacts closely with the other Finance function leaders and teams. Engages in and/or leads wider cross-functional and cross-discipline projects and initiatives.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Significant insurance experience.
- Knowledge of taxing policies and principles in UK and European markets and in Lloyd's all valuable.
- Knowledge of direct and indirect taxation and of associated compliance needs.
- Senior level knowledge of corporate taxation and accounting including deferred taxation.
- Experience of financial ledger systems utilized for tax accounting.
- Working experience of tax processes and controls and SOX implementation and review.
- Exhibits a process improvement mentality, providing process and technology based solutions to increase executional efficiencies.
- Excellent commercial acumen and track record of building collaborative relationships with tax advisors, operational business professionals, and other members of management.
- Ability to lead and influence others within a leadership environment.
- Ability to play a lead role in projects and initiatives undertaking all necessary tax analysis.
- Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Education & Experience
- Qualified accountant, preference for ACA or FCA qualification.
- Recognised tax qualification preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in related field. Advanced/post-graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum five to ten years experience in accounting / corporate tax. Insurance industry experience required.
- Detailed knowledge of direct and indirect taxation.
- Professional Insurance designation preferred.