We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Actuary I!
About the role
We are looking for a bilingual actuary who is proficient in both English and Japanese to join its Corporate Actuarial function. In this unique position, you will work directly with Corporate Actuarial and Enterprise Risk Management to initiate, organize, direct, and analyze actuarial projects using models and concepts from both areas. You will also serve as the point-person between our actuarial teams and our Japanese parent company. This will include communications related to our model results, processes, assumptions, and governance.
What you'll do in this role
- Independently performs facets of actuarial modeling and reporting including but not limited to European Embedded Value (EEV) and Insurance Capital Standard (ICS). This includes model preparation, model runs, results preparation and analysis, and communication of results.
- Responsible for bilingual coordination and communication between our Actuarial teams and our Japanese parent company. This entails independently answering questions from our parent and liaisons and, in some cases, coordinating responses with other actuaries. This also includes preparation of written materials, presentations, and agendas in support of our recurring meetings.
- Proactively improves processes and creates efficiencies with modeling, reporting, documentation, and other communications.
- Commitment to self-development, attaining and disseminating industry and company knowledge including a deep understanding of the company's financial statements and actuarial balances, and typically passing actuarial exams to achieve FSA.
- Able to fulfill responsibilities with significant independence.
What we offer you
"If you want to invest in yourself and build a career, this is a great place to work. If you don't want to put in the effort to learn the industry and become a student of the business (it takes real effort!), there are easier places to work." - AVP Internal Sales, Training and Development
"We are inclusive of all employees regardless of their personal differences." - Actuary III
"We values learning. We have so many resources - whether that is the Student of the Business courses, sponsorship of professional certifications, or just individual employees being so willing to teach and answer questions." - Financial Reporting Lead Senior Analyst
Benefits and Perks
We don't take a "one-size-fits-all" approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are designed to make your life better both at work and at home.
- Flexible full-time or hybrid telecommuting arrangements
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of immediate vesting and company matching up to 6%
- Paid time away including vacation and sick time, flex days and ten paid holidays
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching
Salary Range: $ 97,400 - $162,400 plus eligibility for annual bonus programs
Your experience and skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent with strong quantitative background including college level mathematics.
- 4+ years of insurance related actuarial experience. Typically 4 to 8 years of experience.
- 7 to 8 actuarial exams. ASA designation required, might have FSA.
- Bilingual English/Japanese at a professional working proficiency or better.
- Highly skilled in PC utilization including spreadsheets, data management software, and actuarial modeling software.
- Advanced knowledge of actuarial concepts and assumptions used for modeling, pricing, and financial reporting.
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of the company's legal and ownership structure, actuarial governance structure, and the regulatory frameworks that apply to the organization.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Ability to solve complex actuarial problems independently.
- Significant knowledge of insurance/products and the industry.
- Commitment to professional development.
- MG-ALFA experience is a plus.
- EEV and/or ICS experience is a plus.
We empower inclusion.
We aspire to be the most inclusive insurance company in the country. We're building a place where every employee feels valued, respected, and has opportunities to contribute.
Creating a world where more people have access to financial freedom.
We are a national financial services company dedicated to helping people achieve their financial goals and feel confident about the future. In our daily work, we're guided by the principles of Value, Transparency and Sustainability. This means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and openly so people understand what they're buying, and we design products-and operate our company-to stand the test of time. We're committed to showing up for our communities, lifting up our employees, and standing up for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Join our team and help us create a world where more people have access to financial freedom.
Employer work visa sponsorship and support are not provided for this role. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at hire and must maintain authorization to work in the United States throughout their employment with our company.